South West Sydney
Moorebank Freight Intermodals - The political reality
All residents must attend the rally against the Proposed Moorebank Freight terminals (see below for details). Don’t assume that any of the politicians will help. Both the Federal Government and Opposition want this. The State Government and Opposition also want this.
- The Federal Labor Government has already committed $71 million dollars to the project.
- Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has come out in support of the Intermodal.
- The State Labor Party supported the project when in power.
- The State Liberal Government has been less clear on its intentions with vague promises of pauses to the project but has appointed former Premier Nick Greiner to Infrastructure NSW as Chairman.
Until several months ago Nick Greiner was Deputy Chairman of Stocklands, one of the proponents of the Moorebank Intermodal.
Think that your local MP’s will help. Think again. Apart from Federal MP Craig Kelly and some comments opposing the Intermodal from State MP Melanie Gibbons most of the local State and Federal MP’s either want this to happen or have their heads collectively stuck in the sand.
- One local MP is quoted as saying that the development is a good idea and would create jobs. This MP was also heard to say if the studies came back with a negative finding then the results would be massaged to fit the site so that it would get the go ahead.
- Another local MP was quoted in a letter to a local resident as saying it was unlikely that the development could or would be stopped as too much money had already been committed to the project by the Federal Government.
- A local State MP when shown results of health studies of Intermodals in the USA collected by local residents, dismissed them and said they weren’t relevant to Australia. Rather strange considering he is a Doctor.
- The Mayor of Liverpool seems to have adopted a wait and see attitude, but has been heard to say that this development could be good for the area.
- Most of the other local MP’s (except for Liverpool Council) have been silent on the issue to date.
ALL RESIDENTS MUST ATTEND THE NO MOOREBANK INTERMODAL RALLY ON SUNDAY 26TH JUNE @12:30pm IN CLINCHES POND RESERVE, Heathcote Road AT MOOREBANK. THERE WILL BE FREE ENTERTAINMENT, A SAUSAGE SIZZLE.